With over 200 restaurants to choose from, you certainly shouldn’t go hungry during your visit to the Cayman Islands. Just about every type of cuisine is represented as well as every class of restaurant. You can dress up and sit down to a gourmet meal in the Caribbean’s only AAA Five Diamond restaurant, or put on your jeans and tee shirt and rough it at a “hole-in-the-wall” eatery.
Most of the up-scale restaurants are located at the major hotels, but others such as Grand Old House, Lobster Pot and The Wharf are not associated with any hotel. The Caribbean’s only AAA Five Diamond restaurant is called Blue, and it is located at the Ritz-Carlton hotel on Seven Mile Beach. AAA Four Diamond restaurants include Casa Havana at the Westin Resort (also on Seven Mile Beach) and 7 Prime Cuts & Sunsets at the Ritz-Carlton.
Locals and residents don’t frequent the upscale restaurants very often, simply because of the cost, but there are many places to get a tasty meal at a good price. If you want to taste some genuine “local food”, favourites include Champion House II on Eastern Avenue in George Town, Luz’ Restaurant on Smith Road in George Town and Welly’s Cool Spot on North Sound Way in George Town, just to name a few. Don’t be afraid to ask about items on the menu that you don’t understand, and don’t be afraid to try new things. Some items will probably be foreign to you, and these may include, Akee and Saltfish, Stewed Conch, Turtle Hash, Curried Goat and Jerk Chicken.
For the less adventurous and budget minded visitor, a number of familiar fast food restaurants are available including Burger King, Wendy’s, Subway, KFC and Popeye’s, as well as Pizza Hut and Domino’s Pizza.
Here are just some of the many restaurants available for your dining pleasure:
- Grand Old House – South Church Street, George Town
- The Wharf – Seven Mile Beach Road
- Lobster Pot – North Church Street, George Town
- The Reef Grill – Seven Mile Beach
- Morgan’s Harbour Restaurant and Marina – Morgan’s Harbour, West Bay
- Legendz – Seven Mile Beach Road
- Michael’s Genuine Food & Drink – Camana Bay, off Seven Mile Beach Road
- La Dolce Vita – North Church Street, George Town
- Lighthouse at Breakers – Breakers, Bodden Town
- Cracked Conch – Northwest Point, West Bay
- Casanova’s – North Church Street, George Town
- Breezes by the Bay – Central George Town, Waterfront
- Champion House – Eastern Avenue, George Town
- Yoshi Sushi – Seven Mile Beach Road